Saturday, 29 August 2009

Blogging Assignment #6

1. Analyze article
David Bordwell's website on cinema
The author of this article tells us two different types of method on how scenes hook the audience. One, the most common, is that they create a question on the first scene that makes us wonder, then on the next scene they answer it. They use this to keep the tention going which will make the viewers not bored for the entire movie. Second is they surprise us by fading the scene when it ends, then automatically transitioning to the next scene using a loud sound or action.

Hooks, Lines & Sinkers
This article is saying that a article or a story with a good hook won't necessary mean that the story will be a good one, but it is saying that the reader will give more"attention" to it. Also it is saying as much as creating a hook is important, it is also important to recognize a good hook.

How to hook your audience and keep them reading
This article was a very simple article on how to create a interesting hook. Some of its suggestion were to start with a question or challenge the reader. Then after, they tell us to support your hook with a good thesis statement, following with many other stories and solutions that the reader could connect with. Finally, make sure that the story is well written and organized.

2. The Tell-Tale Heart
I feel that the hook of "The Tell-Tale Hear" was well made. The protagonists' tone of voice made me feel like there was an outrage going on. This made me want to know what happened and why this character was acting in this particular way. Also, I think the author was very clever when he started the story with an exclamation. It gave me an impact that something exciting was going on.

3. Three example of a good hook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrSvtf0rAI
This is a movie trailer of "Watchmen", and I felt that the hook of this movie was very interesting. Normally when we think of super heros, we think of the "good" guys saving the day. However, this movie hooks us in a unique waybecause in this movie, its the darker side of our everyday heroes. I was especially excited at the last part when the narrarator said, "The world will look up and shout 'Save Us', and I'll whisper 'No'". This made me think of what would happen if our daily life heroes suddenly stopped saving us, and the search for the answer made me want to watch the actuall movie. That is why I thought this trailer had a good hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvzj8wyZ9PI
This show, "What would you do" had an interestng hook. In the start of the video, it challenges the viewers on what kind of choice will they make when it comes to a certain scenario. Now most of us probably say, Oh~ I'm a nice person and I would never do something to hurt my community. However, I know that when it actually happens to us, we tend to think of more "options" to choose from. That is why I thought this hook was very clever, challenging us on our daily life habits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/world/asia/30japan.html?hp
This article was very interesting to me because of the Korea-Japan history. Ever since the Japan War, there was a tention between both sides. Even though we we're at peace, we fought about like things like the dokdo island vs. dakeshima. Since it is clear that we are still having conflict with Japan, this article's title had a very interesting hook. It was saying that Japan was looking for a change, but I thought that this was only the Korean perspective, considering the publishing company is Korea, and thought it was a very selfish title. Now, I am a Koren and I have no love for Japan, but this article was bsically saying that Japan was the one who needed to change while we were perfectly fine. Now ofcourse, this is not true and I feel both countries need to comprimise. However, seeing how the hook is saying that Japan is trying to change, it has once again reminded me of the Korea-Japan conflict.

1 comment:

  1. Great choices to analyze hooks. Keep reading the New York Times. The paper has fascinating articles and will help enhance your vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete