Thursday, 17 September 2009

Blog Assignment #9

Write a 1-2 paragraphs analyzing the author's perspective about voice. Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

In the article he shows what kind of tastes there are compares them to different tastes. For example, in pg 2, he gives a piece by E.B. White, and tells how descriptive the piece is. Then later he writes a similar piece with a different taste, which has a kind of brezzy taste. He compares the two and tells how horrible the second one sounds, having no sense of grammar and how the writer attempted to write in slang but only made it more horrible. The author refers to these as cliches.
After showing couple of examples such as the ones mentioned above, he tells how hard it is to get the right taste of sound. Also he mentiones not to be afraid of trying to immitate a author's taste, because eventually you will blend in and make your own kind of taste. Later on when you get used to it, then you should develop your own taste of voice, so that when a reader reads your piece, they could tell it is your style of writing. This means through out the process, you should come up with your own style that will be reconizable in every literature you write.
I think I agree with this statement. All of us, even if we don't really know it, have our own unique voice. That is why I'm sure teachers and professionals can tell when we are plagarizing. I think by having a unqiue voice that no one else has, it will make the literature more interesting to read. Also I believe that trying to use a type of voice that doesn't fit you will just make the story more terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment